AussieBluebirds.com
October 19, 2017, 02:37:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: AussieBluebirds.com Stickers!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Windscreen Mould  (Read 2055 times)
rallyace

« on: August 11, 2016, 04:22:17 AM »

Hi Guys   
Has anyone a sure method of removing the top windscreen mould ,without wrecking . Series 3 TRX                 Local Windsceens O,briens can't help

Many thanks
Dattonut
910 HERO

CA18det.

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:27:21 PM »

There are 5 (from memory) plastic clips which hold the chrome trim in place across the top of the windscreen. These clips are in the shape of a wide, inverted "V" with a tail that fits over and just under the glass and is held in place by the sealant. Last time I replaced a 'screen, the trim was fitted a couple of days after the sealant had cured so these clips were firmly glued in place. The bottom of the "V" ( which is the top as it's inverted), has a small lip to hold the slightly curled top lip of the chrome trim. So to fit the trim, it has to be pushed upwards against the springy "V" and then the top edge bumped down over the lip on the clip.
To remove, you could try pushing one end up the 'screen and gently twisting it to pop the top edge back over the plastic clip edge lip - once you get the method, it is pretty easy. Method 2 involves making a flat tool with a small bent end to push one end of the "V" at a time up and out of the curled bottom channel of the trim. Hard to explain - the first way is easier. NOTE - this is providing the last time the 'screen was replaced, the installer used the factory clips for the trim & didn't Sikaflex it back on!!!!! Try to buy these clips from a Nissan dealer before you pull it out so you know what they look like - you may need new ones anyway as the become brittle and break. Mine cost $10 for a set about 5 years ago. It takes 2 people and a lot of piano wire or fishing trace wire to saw through the sealant and remove the 'screen + lots of patience. Hope this is of some help.

S3TRX CA18DET
oldmanbluebird

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:41:04 PM »

OR just use Sikaflex and glue the mould on the outside, those plastic things break just by looking at them and I've never had any luck saving them or reusing them

Trophy 0  Trees 1
Dattonut
910 HERO

CA18det.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 12:55:03 AM »

Those clips were a swine - most of mine broke when I removed the trim. I bought all the local dealer could supply & I only got 5. There should have been a better way. confused

S3TRX CA18DET
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: