AussieBluebirds.com
October 19, 2017, 02:39:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Seen a bluebird in your area lately? Post about it in this thread

Quick Links: ABB Shoutbox.    Who's Online.    How to add photos. Smiley

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Group C 910 rear suspention  (Read 691 times)
CHEESE

« on: April 28, 2017, 12:34:29 AM »

I want to Think about this more so here are some pictures, feel free to add more pictures and/or information if you have any

From Zoom issue 55

Photos posted in the past by 'TheTRX'

910 bluebird <3 <3
A U S Z O K U . N E T
HASHINASHIZOKU.COM
CHEESE

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:45:35 AM »

So I'm quite interested in what is going on here, I've been looking at these photos for a while now.
I remember trying to design some suspension like this a couple of years ago to try and solve the factory camber and toe issues when lowering my car.
I could never get my head around a working solution. I'm finding it super neat that this set up already existed and works in the way I wanted mine too.

Things I can see:

The rear crossmember is unmodified.

The alloy plates that hold the inner suspension linkages, there are two plates.
The forwardmost plate is sandwiched between the diff housing and the diff cover
The rearmost plate is not completely flat, after the mounting bolts the outer sides are flared backwards slightly, giving a larger opening for the linkage ends.

The alloy plates are fixed at the top by the original diff rear hanger hole above the rear of the diff.
The alloy plates are braced from the bottom center running to either side of the car to the inner of the wheel wells, you can see the ends of the braces next to the alloy dimpled swaybar towers in the pictures.

The rear diff cover appears to be standard.
There is a braided line is screwed into where the main drain plug in the diff would be for the diff oil cooler
The return line enters the diff in the fill hole? that is above the normal mounting bolts.
There is a cut out in the rear alloy plate for the diff inspection hole.

There are two rear suspension linkages on either side that run between the alloy plates in the middle to new brackets that have been mounted on the swing arms on the outside the rear bearing housing.
The outer upper linkage mount runs to a new bracket that it located between the mounting points for the rear brake calipers.
The outer lower linkage mount is located at about 5 o'clock on the bearing housing (or 7 on the other side depending on how you look at it) with the bias being towards the rear.
There is a welded brace from between the new lower linkage mount and the shock absorber mount.

The swingarms appear to be original units that have been modified,
They have been basically cut in half, removing the inner mounting arm completely and boxing in where it was.
The original inner mounting points still remain on the rear crossmember but nothing now exists to bolt to these points.

The only thing I can't see in the pictures that I feel is important is the the outer (now only) mounts where the swing arms mount to the rear cross member.
It would make sense that the nose of the swing arm would be replaced with a spherical rod bearing end to give enough movement to accommodate the new adjustability in camber and toe geometries without binding a normal bush. but I can't see this area in any pictures!
you never know, they could have just strengthened the tabs and relocated the holes slightly to a more convenient position!

I just noticed that the sway bar ends are anodized yellow in the Zoom pictures and plan alloy in the latter pictures from 'TheTRX'
I imagine that the ends were swapped to ones with a slightly different angle to adjust the stiffness of the swaybar.
Also there is no rear diff oil cooler in 'theTRX' photos.

Feel free to comment on these observations.
Two brains are better than one.
I've probably missed something and or gotten something wrong.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:56:51 AM by CHEESE » Logged

910 bluebird <3 <3
A U S Z O K U . N E T
HASHINASHIZOKU.COM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: